Monday, September 16, 2013

Phase 2

Phase 2 is about to begin...

The Philadelphia Marathon is exactly two months away from tomorrow, and I am now into the portion of training I like to call phase 2.

Phase 1 concentrated on preparation for the half marathon yesterday and consisted of a gradual reintroduction to a training lifestyle: early morning runs, increased mileage, and a better diet.  It also included a lot of very sweaty runs due to the summer heat and humidity (and an awful lot of complaining about said heat and humidity).  Runs topped out at 15 miles.  There were a lot of speed sessions on my school's track.

Phase 2 will consist of runs in cooler temps now that fall is here.  The mileage will increase dramatically (including the Baltimore Marathon as a training run next month), and while I will maintain the track sessions, I also want to add more distance runs at race pace.  I will also completely overhaul my diet in an attempt to make myself leaner and lighter.  Not that my diet is that terrible to begin with, especially compared to the average American's, but I still eat my share of junk, and am certainly no stranger to a cold draft beer.  For the next two months I won't drink any soda or alcohol, and will attempt to cook at home as often as possible.

Get excited people.  I'm on my way to Boston with a brief layover in Philly...

2 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I wish you all the best for phase 2, you deserve a BQ! Also, congrats on the Philly HM, awesome finish despite the traffic on the road! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...