Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back to school

The door to my classroom

We've had two straight days of meetings, mostly to do with a new evaluation system being implemented this year.  Tomorrow is the first day with the kids.

This will be one of my biggest challenges of this training cycle: making the transition from August in which I had all the time in the world to get my runs in, to September when my schedule once again becomes highly regimented.  My time will no longer be completely consumed by running, but instead by student growth objectives, lesson plans, formative and summative assessments, grading, faculty meetings, document logs, and curriculum writing.  Oh yeah, and teaching.

Here's what my schedule looks like during the school year: wake up at 6am, shower, shave, make breakfast. Ride bike to school by 7am.  First class at 7:45.  6 classes, two prep periods, and one twenty minute lunch break.  School finishes at 2:30, and we are required to stay until 3.  Sometimes I leave right at 3, other times I'll stay as late as 5.  Often I'll dedicate an hour or two at night to grading, creating tests or assignments, or writing lesson plans.  It's definitely not a job that one leaves at the office.

So somewhere in there I have to find time to run 60 miles a week.  It's not so hard finding the time, mind you, but instead the mental fortitude one needs.  Two hours that have been given to running can quickly evaporate when I'm tired or cranky or hungry or generally looking for an excuse not to run.  Forcing myself to go run ten miles is one thing, but doing so on time is another thing altogether.

Here's to another great year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...