Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Article on barefoot running


There is an article in today's New York Times that focuses on the barefoot trend in running right now and the science behind it.  Proponents argue that when humans ran thousands of years ago to chase down dinner on the savannah, they didn't wear anything on their feet.  People who are prone to running injuries, therefor, can thank their over-designed shoes for what ails them, and can forgo the injuries by returning to the basics.

Given my rant on running shoes last week, you might think I'd be in favor of the barefoot running movement, but here's my response: I will never become a barefoot runner for the same reason I will never become a Paleo eater (another trend sweeping the fitness world right now).  I believe in the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."  In this case, I mean that literally.

Aside from the usual minor aches and pains incurred in a 60 mile training week, I have never experienced a running injury.  No shin splints, no IT band issues, no pulled muscles, no blisters and no lost toenails.  Why switch to barefoot running, or Vibrams, if I'm doing just fine with the shoes I have?  So once again, I'll just stick with whatever is cheap and comfortable and leave it at that.

Now excuse me while I go find a piece of wood to knock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...