Saturday, June 4, 2011

The great mold invasion

Here's a fun fact: apparently my apartment has mold.  My roommate has been suffering from allergies and other ailments over the past few months, and his doctor suggested he set up a mold test.  It came back positive:

Hope you weren't eating just now.

Our landlord doesn't have the money to properly fix the problem, and my roommate wants to leave at the end of this month, skipping out on the last two months of the lease.

Is it in anyway gross that I want to stay?  I love this apartment and its location, and I have yet to notice any mold-related symptoms at all.

This could get interesting...

2 comments:

  1. Scott, I'd leave too. Mold is a serious health issue, even if you don't feel any effects right now. Whether he has the money or not, he has to fix it, as I'm sure precense of mold doesn't meet code requirements. Having worked in local government, I have little sympathy for business owners who claim they don't have the money to ensure the health and safety of their building's occupants.

    That all said, you and your roommate can't just up and leave, break your lease, and then make a claim down the road when the landlord comes after you for rent money. There's a certain procedure you have to follow for breaking your lease in a circumstance like this, such as putting a request to remediate the situation in writing, giving your landlord a certain amount of time to respond, putting your rent in escrow with the court (instead of just not paying your rent) if the landlord refuses to fix the problem, and so on. You can start by calling the Attorney General's office to find out what's required by law and maybe be directed to an orgnization that helps tenants through the process. Or call the Burough Building Inspector, or whoever inspects rental properties where you live. That person should not only be told about the problem, but should be able to direct you towards resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... I was afraid someone would be more sensible than I am. Decisions decisions...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...