Thursday, June 9, 2011

Crazy Town

Crazy Town is not a real place.  It's a state of mind achieved when external forces and physical exertion create a perfect storm of half-baked daftness.  Crazy Town is achieved on days like today:



Some people ask me what I think about when I'm running for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, the truth is a bit... strange.  The outskirts of Crazy Town appear early on an 8 mile run with a simple refrain:

Stacy's mom has got it going on.
She's all I want, and I've waited for so long.

If I could tell you why "Stacy's Mom," the Grammy-nominated, 2003 one hit wonder from Fountains of Wayne entered my head out of nowhere, then I might be smart enough not to go running during a heatwave in the first place.  It was bad enough listening to the song's chorus loop through my head on repeat, but it got worse when I started substituting things around me for the real lyrics.

That water fountain has got it going on
That crazy goose has got it going on
That beefy guy rocking the 80's Walkman has got it going on
That broken water fountain has not got it going on...

And so on and so forth, ad nauseam, until the end of the 8 miles.

Welcome to Crazy Town.  Enjoy your stay.

3 comments:

  1. fountains of wayne's 1st album was pretty damn good--much better than stupid stacey's mom would ever suggest.

    (i like your blog by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen, and Lacey, glad you like the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...