Monday, June 20, 2011

Ze Germans


If you've read the "About Me" section of this blog, you know that I'm a teacher.  But in the grand tradition of only sharing half-truths on the internet, that is, well, only half the truth.  Yes, I've spent the past two years teaching in South Jersey.  But one of those years was filling in for two maternity leaves, and the other was just regular subbing.  When I spoke of the horrible time I went through last summer and fall, not being able to secure a full-time teaching position was the main factor. Feeling like I was wasting my talent was another.

And then something remarkable happened today.  After many months of networking, formal and informal interviews, a demo lesson, writing and revising my cover letter, and securing letters of recommendation, I was offered a full-time position as a German teacher at a high school right down the street from where I live.

"But Scott, your certification is in elementary education."  Yes, it is.  Which is why I will be spending the majority of the summer taking classes and official state exams to make sure I am certified to teach at the high school level come fall.  Unfortunately, once fall comes, I will have to spend all of my time wrapping my head around teaching a new curriculum and age group, meaning there may not be time to train for a fall marathon.  As much as I hate to say that, I just have to be careful about spreading myself too thin in my first year as a new teacher.

Getting the job now seems like it was the easy part compared to all that I have to accomplish in the coming weeks and months, but for now I leave you in extremely high spirits knowing that once again, hard work has paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...