Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New shoes

I figured there must be someone out there who actually cares what shoes I run in, so here you go:


So this is what passes for content on a running blog, eh?

I recently won a $50 gift certificate (redeemable with $100 purchase) to the Haddonfield Running Company, and I needed a new pair of shoes for the marathon next month anyway, so that's where I headed today.

A man asked what I currently run in, and I told him Nike.  It looked like he was waiting for me to finish, like I was going to tell him the name of the shoe, the "Nike Matrix G3 11's," or whatever passes for running shoe names nowadays.  But as I've said elsewhere on this blog, I know my shoes are Nike and that's about it, because I don't particularly care what I run in.  I don't believe in fancy running equipment of any kind.  In the end, hard work will make me a faster runner, not an expensive, high tech pair of running shoes, so just give me something that's cheap and comfortable and let's move on.

The man was already helping another customer, a woman he chastised for buying her last pair of running shoes at Target.  According to him, "never buy running shoes for less than $100, because they won't be running shoes."  I found this sad, because I think it's similar to selling people weight-loss pills; it's just more false hope.  People shouldn't be led to believe expensive shoes will make them faster, and people shouldn't have to shell out $100 or more just to be allowed to call themselves runners.

At any rate, the woman who helped me had me walk around the store to check my pronation, and then offered me three pairs of shoes to try on: Adidas, Asics, and Saucony.  I chose the Sauconys.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I bought some shoes at the Moorestown Running Company and honestly, I don't think they're much better than the cheap ones I had from DSW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just go into my running store and buy the same ones all of the time. But they give me a great discount. I don't care for the people in running stores who get all snobby about the shoes. Sorry you didn't have the best experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...