Wednesday, May 25, 2011

No jerks allowed

You know one aspect of running that I really enjoy?  It's how friendly everyone is.  Most runners will remark, with pride, that running breeds far fewer jerks than other sports.  Running is a non-contact sport, and most runners compete against no one other than themselves, and many also run for charity.  It's only natural that running would be made up of friendly people.

One place where I see this trait exemplified again and again is in the finishing chute of local 5k's.

Finishing chute of the Run for Hope 5k: April 16, 2011

Last weekend at the Run for ALD 5k, I spent almost the entire race neck and neck with a guy my age.  We were pushing each other hard, and in the last half mile we both surged ahead of each other several times.  Finally, in the last tenth of a mile, he pulled ahead, and I had no energy left to match his pace.  I called out, "it's all you, finish strong!"

We were both doubled over and out of breath in the finishing chute when he turned around and wordlessly, sincerely, shook my hand.  He was in my age group and had edged me out of the top three with his final push, but who cares?  We had a mutual respect for each other as athletes - as runners - and that is what I take away from that race, and running in general, instead of some age group prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...