Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life

When I was a kid and wanted to get my granddad a present, it usually had something to do with golf.  Being the age I was, I failed to grasp the nuances of his entire personality, and my gift giving skills were therefor somewhat limited.  But I knew he liked golf, so chocolate golfballs it was, then.

In much the same way, people who don't know every aspect of my personality at least understand that I like running, and I tend to accumulate a lot of running-related presents.  Over the years, my students have given me all manner of T-shirts, "26.2" emblazoned coffee mugs, running store gift certificates, etc.  One such gift was the following book:


It's a relatively short book that can be read in one sitting, and offers interesting viewpoints from an American running legend, as well as book recommendations and inspirational quotes.  In addition, Burfoot, current editor of Runner's World and winner of the 1968 Boston Marathon, describes what makes the sport of running transcend itself as a simple activity and become so much more to millions around the world.

I like to take it out when I'm in a rut, because its inspiring pages remind me of why I run in the first place.  If you have a few extra hours, find this book and read it.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to keep this in mind. His Beginner's Guide book helped me when I first started running!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...