Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sub 3:00 marathon?


According to the Runner's World online training calculator, there is a chance I could run a sub 3:00 marathon next month in Minnesota.  This is based solely on my recent PR of 18:01 in the 5k. Running a sub 3:00 marathon would be fantastic, seeing as it is one of my running goals to conquer, but I don't think I buy it.

As I've mentioned before, I just don't think my training has been sufficient this spring to run a PR, let alone a PR that is under 3 hours.  In addition, there are so many factors that go into race day that are beyond my control.  It could be extremely hot out.  It could rain the whole day.  I could simply have an inexplicably bad day.  The problem with a marathon is that so much preparation goes into it, and you only get one shot.  I could run 5k's every weekend and maybe even get my time below 18 minutes.  I could probably run a marathon every weekend like some people, but if I am really going to lop 10 minutes or more off my marathon PR, that is not the best way to do it.  I would need sufficient rest and recovery time after that kind of effort.  There is a reason the elites only run 2 or 3 marathons a year, afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...