Thursday, May 5, 2011

All in the Timing

This blog might suggest otherwise, but I do have other interests than just running.  One of them is theater.  Over the last few months I've been working on a show called All in the Timing, a collection of one-act plays by David Ives.  The plays are rather intellectual and heavy on wordplay and general absurdist comedy, and I believe our rendition will offer a very entertaining evening.

I'm directing one of the plays and acting in another.  The play I'm directing is called Words Words Words, which is about three monkeys locked in a room and forced to type on typewriters until they produce Hamlet.  It's a literal interpretation of the Infinite Monkey Theorem, a real mathematical theory that is meant to demonstrate the randomness of the universe.  The Hamlet references can be dense, but I've got my actors swinging from tire swings, sword fighting with bananas, and other monkey-themed tomfoolery to keep the average theater-goer entertained.


The play I'm acting in is called Variations on the Death of Trotsky, which offers eight takes on the final day in the life of Leon Trotsky, leader of the Russian Revolution.  Trotsky was struck in the head with a mountain climber's ax in 1940, yet lived on for another day before succumbing to his injuries.  David Ives explores what might have gone through his head in those final hours (besides the ax, naturally).

If you live in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area and want to support community theater, check out www.haddonfieldplayers.com for all of the details.  We open tonight and close on Saturday the 21st.  Come on out!

The poster I made for the show I'm directing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...