Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Second Running Boom

People in the running industry have been describing the last few years as the second running boom, following the boost in popularity the sport enjoyed in the 1970's.  When I registered for the 2005 Philadelphia Marathon, I waited until the last possible moment to do so.  Two years later I employed the same tactic, only to watch it sell out for the first time in its history.  I believe the hype about the second running boom.

Need more proof?  Trying to register for races this spring has been beyond frustrating.  I thought two months qualified as planning ahead, but forget it with these races:



The inaugural Phillies 5k Run, which finishes in Citizen's Bank Ballpark, sold out months ago.



The only Tough Mudder race anywhere near me sold out months ago.



The Broad Street Run, a 10 mile race along Philadelphia's Broad Street in May, sold out months ago.



The Marine Corps Marathon, which doesn't take place until October, sold out in 28 hours a few weeks ago.  I'd thought about entering it just to try something other than Philly, but I guess not.



This last one is actually the Philly Craft Beer Festival, which obviously has nothing to do with running, but is equally devastating for having sold out months before I tried to buy a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...