Saturday, March 5, 2011

Now is the winter of my discontent

I wanted to run the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach for a few reasons:

  1. Try a spring marathon for the first time.
  2. Enjoy the atmosphere of a marathon weekend again.
  3. I've heard great things about this marathon, especially the after party with plenty of free beer.
  4. I was hoping to bring Kathleen for a fun weekend away from our schedules and routines.

But in the end - and I've seen this coming for weeks - I was finally forced to make the lousy decision of striking it from my spring schedule.  For the second year in a row I let winter wreak havoc on my motivation and failed to get in the miles I should have.  Thankfully I never bothered to sign up for it in the first place (though perhaps if I had, that might have been the very motivation I needed to pick up the training).

I'm still planning on running a spring marathon, even if it kills me - which it very well might if I don't bring my mileage back up.  I had my eye on the Providence Marathon, which I had to strike a few weeks ago because I'm now going to a wedding that same weekend.  Now I'm looking at Grandma's Marathon in June with the idea of running a marathon and getting in some quality time with my sister and nephew at the same time.

For now, though, I'm stuck with the lousy feeling of being a quitter.

Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...