Saturday, October 19, 2013

A golden opportunity

Stevie and I spent the better part of today at a Harry Potter festival with some friends over in Chestnut Hill, PA.  Part of the festival included a quidditch tournament hosted by Chestnut Hill College, which is how I got to watch a snitch pretty much bodyslam any seeker who got near him during one game.


I had no idea quidditch was so rough.

Years ago, before I'd ever read any of the Harry Potter books or seen the movies, the summer camp where I worked set up quidditch for the kids.  I was recruited as the snitch during all of the games.

"The what?!"

"The golden snitch."

"What the hell is that?"

"You have to avoid capture by the seekers."

>Blank stare.<

"Just run around the field and don't let those two kids right there tag you."

"Ah, got it."

In 2005 Middlebury College adapted the game for real world competition, and the game is now played in colleges all over the United States, as well as leagues all around the world.

After finally seeing a game of collegiate level quidditch today, my interest still lies with the snitch.

According to the Intercollegiate Quidditch Rules and Guidebook, "having a skilled, fast, tough, acrobatic runner as the snitch is the centerpoint of Middlebury's Muggle Quidditch.  It is the crowd pleaser and THE main aspect of what has made this version of the rules so popular and successful."

"The snitch must be able to run a fast pace for at least an hour.  Varsity Cross Country runners, ex-cross country runners, or varsity soccer players are recommended."

"The snitch is essentially an asshole whose sole task is to humiliate the seekers.  He can run from them, hide from them, throw them to the ground, or dodge away just as they dive for them..."

"The snitch should be able to do simple acrobatic maneuvers.  Handsprings, rolls, somersaults and even flips are all very useful to evade capture when maneuvering a small area."

Dammit, why couldn't this sport have existed when I was in college?  Despite not having been into Harry Potter at the time, I think I would have had a blast as the snitch.  Hell, I think I would have a blast as the snitch now.

Anyone want to join my adult quidditch league?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...