Sunday, January 19, 2014

Weekend in New York


I've just come back from an amazing weekend in New York City.  The Goethe Institute hosted a weekend seminar for new and newer German teachers all across the country, with a focus on using technology to incorporate authentic resources in the classroom.  I'll spare you the details of the seminar itself, but let's just say they paid for everything as well, including transportation, hotel, dinner at a nice restaurant on Friday night, and a food stipend for Saturday.  As a public high school teacher, I'm not used to feeling so wined and dined.

I brought Stevie along with me for the trip, and we arrived in New York on Friday morning. The hotel was in Lower Manhattan in Soho, and after checking in we had lunch in Chinatown where we were the only white people in the restaurant.  We then headed to the 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero, which I had never seen before.


On Saturday night we went to see "Matilda" on Broadway, my birthday present to Stevie a few weeks ago.  I am not much of a musical person, but overall I enjoyed this show and can highly recommend it.  Having wanted to see it for months now, Stevie was beside herself the whole show.

After the seminar's conclusion today, I spent the afternoon walking all over Manhattan. Among the highlights: someone had dragged a piano out to Washington Square Park where I enjoyed a concert for a spell.


I had grand plans of going for long runs while in New York, along the river and in Central Park, but both days I woke up too late to run anything longer than two miles.  My route mostly followed Lafayette Street where the hotel was located:


As always, I come home from New York chastising myself for not making it up there more often.  I live so close to one of the greatest cities in the world and I only manage to make it there once or twice a year.

And here is a picture of the crowd.  Someone suggested we pose looking stern and sufficiently German, though a few missed the memo:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...