Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I thought they said vodka...


I tend to talk about marathons - and running in general - a lot.  It's clearly a comfort zone born out of experience and a few successes, an area of my life that is easy to fall back on for lack of a better topic.  You could say that I get slightly excitable over running.

I've known my friend Yashy since our freshman year of college, and having befriended the manic, 18-year-old version of myself, she is familiar with how excitable I can get.  Eleven years ago it was over any manner of topics, from feuds with my next door neighbor Jesse, to captaining our dorm's freshman league soccer team (F.C. Spartenheimer), to planning a yoghurt wrestling party.   Nowadays... well, this blog speaks for itself.

This can be slightly offputting to someone with no interest in the sport.  To be fair, I did arrive at Yashy's apartment on the day of the Boston Marathon, perhaps bringing my sometimes excitable nature to a fever pitch.

Yashy: After tonight, you're not allowed to talk about marathons anymore.
Me: That's not fair!  Then what am I supposed to talk about?
Yashy: I don't know, but you'd better get it out of your system tonight.

Yashy, incidentally, works for Corby Distilleries Limited, "Canada's foremost distributor of premium spirits and fine wines."  Among her list of clients is Absolut Vodka, and she receives a monthly allotment of liquor.  All of which confirms it as the coolest job in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...