Sunday, April 17, 2011

17 miles and a recital

Last night.  Saturday night.  While the sensible person goes out to a bar or the movies to blow off steam from the work week, the marathoner goes to bed at 8:30.  I tend to spend a lot of money on races throughout the year, so it's nice to know that the training is also saving me a lot by hampering my social life.

I went to bed so early so I could get up at 6:45am and do my long run.  Ran for a total of 2:23:37, an estimated 17 miles, and looked like this when I finished:


The last 20 minutes were spent running into a wall of wind, much like in the race yesterday.  I was not happy.

I then had a half hour to shower and make myself presentable for Kathleen's recital in Princeton.


I frequently tout the benefits of hard work and training, so it was nice to see it pay off for someone else.  Kathleen has been working on this recital for months.  She abstained from alcohol for a month, chose songs in three different languages that would entertain an audience as well as appropriately showcase her vocal abilities, spent countless hours with her vocal coach, printed programs and fliers, and organized the reception afterwards.  Today was the reward for all of the hard work she put in, as she was surrounded by friends and family who rained flowers and pictures and hugs and standing ovations down upon her.

Congratulations, Kathleen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...