Friday, October 23, 2015

Afternoon Delight

Coming to a magazine cover near you












I
I've taken to doing speedwork on Fridays, and planned another speed workout for this morning.

I woke up at 4am to the buzzing of my cellphone, headed downstairs to the couch to read and drink tea, and had just changed and was on my way out the door when I heard my son upstairs.  I decided to postpone my morning track session to look after Neale so my wife could sleep.  She's been working herself into exhaustion on her latest show, so I wanted to lighten her load for at least an hour.

This meant I had to do my track session this afternoon.

After work and coming home to change, I headed over to my school's track where the football and cross country teams were practicing and the field hockey team was playing a game nearby.  Our track is currently being renovated, which is why you don't see any lanes in the picture above.  They also have yet to lay down the springy, soft surface common on most tracks.  Right now it's nothing but rock solid asphalt. I'm told this is a more forgiving surface than a concrete sidewalk, at least.

There's a reason why I hate speedwork and don't do as much of it as I should: it sucks.  It's incredibly painful and I come away feeling dizzy and drained every time.  Today was no exception.

I did my go-to track workout: a series of 400's punctuated with jumping rope, pushups, sit-ups,100 meter dashes, and 200 meter recovery jogs.

My 400's went like this:

Lap 1: 1:15
Lap 2: 1:16
Lap 3: 1:11
Lap 4: 1:14

All told, at least it was better than doing the same workout in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...