Wednesday, July 22, 2015

2015 SJAC No Frills Just Thrills Race #4

Race #2 never happened due to an epic 20 minute storm knocking out trees and electricity all over South Jersey a few weeks ago, and I missed race #3 because Stevie had rehearsal that night, but was able to make it over to the Cooper River last night for race #4 in the summer series.

Last night was a prediction race of one loop around the Cooper (3.65 miles).  At registration, runners had to write down their predicted finish time, and then whoever came closest to their prediction would win the race.  This means two things: you don't have to run fast to win the race, and older runners with more experience pacing themselves stand a better chance at winning.

Last year I predicted 32 minutes, roughly a 9 minute pace, but ended up finishing in 29:39, an 8:07 pace.  So this year I wrote down 29 minutes.  I had to leave shortly afterwards, so I had no idea how I did until today when the results were posted.


I was only 20 seconds off my predicted time and took 2nd in my age group.  This means I get another pint glass which I'll be able to pick up at the next race.  Side note: my running hobby means I have an absurdly large pint glass collection.  It's starting to become a problem.

The overall winner was 65 years old and came within one second of his predicted time.


As always, thanks to the South Jersey Athletic Club for putting on a great race series.  I'll see y'all at the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...