Sunday, June 21, 2015

My first Father's Day

Three generations of Partenheimers

Father's Day was today, and it was a special one for me because it was my first as a father. Stevie made me waffles for breakfast, I took myself to the movies to see Jurassic World, and then we all headed to my dad's place to grill in the backyard.  Grilling, beer, and family - is there any better way to celebrate Father's Day?

It should go without saying that fatherhood is hard.  There have been some incredible highs over the past ten months, but some equally paralyzing lows in which I truly struggled.  But I feel good that I can sit here today and honestly say that I love being a father.  I am addicted to my son's laughter.  I am inspired by his curious explorations.  And I love the tiny nuances of his nascent personality.

While on Christmas break, Stevie and I hung out with friends who had a two-and-a-half year old boy.  The father told me how, as his son grows older, so too does the fun, and that has stuck with me ever since.  It's true; the fun grows exponentially, but so does the happiness. Each day brings some new found skill, obsession or joy that my son discovers, and with each new day, I discover happiness anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...