Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dispatches from München

We're in Munich with the trip soon to finish.  So far we've taken in the X-Games, BMW World, the Marienplatz, a beer garden, the English Garden, the Munich City Museum, and plenty of great Bavarian cooking.

I organized this trip on my own, and keeping to my method of travel, all eight of us have been living in one room in hostels in Berlin and Munich.  Spending so much time with teenagers has been... interesting.  I was a little nervous about giving them free time, but my kids are super responsible and have conducted themselves very well, so I've in fact given them a lot of time on their own, which they've mostly used to go shopping and buy a lot of random crap.  Their food choices are also quite dubious.  Though it reminds me of when I was in high school, and when I came home from track practice my snack was almost always a Swiss Yodel and a can of Sprite.

As always, running while traveling has been challenging.  Some of my kids snore, and the hostels can be noisy, so I haven't been sleeping very well the past week, making it near impossible to run in the morning.  I didn't run at all in Berlin, but I did manage a run yesterday and this morning.



Our hostel is right down the street from the large field where the Oktoberfest is held every year, so I ran down there this morning to see what the place looks like before the big party this fall (barren and empty). The run was nothing special, just a short jaunt through one of my favorite cities as I try to stave off any travel weight gain and keep up something resembling fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...