Sunday, May 26, 2013

Why I will almost always opt against the treadmill

We're still in Tennessee.  We drove down here and decided to stay an extra day to make the trip worth it. So before heading out to check out some of Tennessee and North Carolina today, I went for a run around the hotel.  I could have used the hotel's "fitness center," (one treadmill, one stair machine, and a few medicine balls).  It's a pain mapping out routes in new areas, afterall, especially when surrounded by highways and ugly chain hotels and restaurants.

View from our room

But our hotel is in a valley, and I was hoping to find some trails in the hills where I could escape all of the ugliness below.  Instead I found a few dirt roads that petered out into high grass and then nothing.  It was annoying having to constantly retrace my steps while communing with broken glass and tires instead of nature.  I did, however, start to notice the hundreds of daisies blooming in open fields and along the aforementioned dirt roads.  


I decided to stop and pick some for Stevie.  I never do this, mind you.  That is, stopping in the middle of a run.  It just ruins the groove.  But I knew that daisies are Stevie's favorite flower, and I couldn't pass this one up.

If I had run on the treadmill I would never have had the chance to surprise my new wife with her favorite flower.

You just never know what you'll find out there unless you go.

I may never run on a treadmill again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...