Thursday, March 29, 2012

An update on Boston



How is training for Boston going?  Glad you asked.

In a nutshell: not well.

The stress is creeping in and with it comes self doubt: with all that I am responsible for as a first-year teacher, am I actually being realistic when I set my sights on running 3:05 or better in my next marathon?  I nearly killed myself running a 3:09:45 in 2010, and I didn't have a fulltime job then. I find myself constantly exhausted, and despite that exhaustion, I still find it hard to fall asleep some nights because I just can't turn my brain off.

Regarding the exhaustion, I sometimes tell myself that I need to listen to my body and ease back on the training if I'm so exhausted.  Other days, though, I wonder if that isn't the point of training - to get used to running through exhaustion, because isn't that what the last 6 miles of the marathon are all about?  In the end, EVERY run is a mental battle, often started long before I actually make it out the door, and I don't always win.

Ultimately all I can do is keep plugging along, giving it the best I can, and just try not to be disappointed if it takes me a few attempts to make it again.  Some people, afterall, spend a lifetime chasing Boston.  I just hope I'm not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...