Sunday, November 20, 2011

2011 Philly Marathon

At 17th and Chestnut, around mile 6.

I went out to the Philly Marathon this morning to spectate.  Thousands upon thousands of strangers have been there for me in the past, so I thought I'd try to pay back the favor today.  I stood atop a newsstand for an hour yelling my head off, watching the progression from skinny, tank top-clad elites, to Boston hopefuls, to average Joes.  Everyone with something to prove.

I then headed over to the finish line near the art museum where I climbed a tree and watched the finish line for another hour.

My vantage point from the tree

Philly really needs to get its act together regarding the finish line.  On one side sits a barricade where people can stand and watch, but unless you're six feet tall or right at the front by the barricade, it's all but impossible to actually see the finish line.  On the other side of the street is a VIP tent which obviously blocks off any spectating possibilities.

The finish line was changed a few years ago presumably to incorporate the iconic art museum into finishers' photos, but I'd take bleachers full of screaming fans on either side of the street to finish a marathon over a pretty picture any day.

After sitting in the tree for awhile, I met Amy who had been planning on running the half marathon until she incurred an injury a mere week ago.  She was bummed, like I was, to not be running today, but we both agree that there is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...