Saturday, January 30, 2016

5 year blogiversary

If you understand this reference, congratulations; we are soul mates.

5 years ago, while in New York visiting a friend, I went over to Central Park for a Saturday morning run put together by blogger Ben Davis.  After running, we all sat and got to know each other over breakfast, and I quickly found out I was one of the few people there without a blog.  I had written blogs before, and had long since toyed with the idea of starting a running blog, but had never gotten around to it.  Peer pressure won out, and the next day I sat down to write my first entry on this blog.

I had no idea what to call my blog, as most of the good running names and/or puns had already been taken.  Taking inspiration from a sign I'd seen at a race recently, I went with I Thought They Said Rum.

A lot has changed in the last five years.  I broke up with my girlfriend at the time, and a few months later started dating Stevie.  I started my current full time job as a high school German teacher, Stevie and I got engaged, got married, moved into a duplex across town, then had a son.  All the while, I continued to blog, mostly about running but with the occasional life update thrown in.

I've pushed myself towards different running goals over the years, striving for PR's in various distances.  I've weighed in on topics in the running world over the years, such as the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon, the death of two runners at the Philadelphia Marathon, or that perennially thorny issue of the two terms "running" and "jogging."

I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish more people read my blog.  I would love the perks of blogging that other bloggers enjoy, like free shoes or even free trips to races, but at the end of the day I keep up with this blog because I simply love to run and write.  Any readership I've gained over the years, however small, is simply a welcome bonus.

I can't imagine the blog will change a whole lot over the coming years.  I wish I had the time to update the look of the blog, maybe even change the name, create better graphics, come up with more interesting content, but it'll probably be business as usual for the foreseeable future. I'll continue to run races and blog about them, weigh in on issues facing the running world, and update you with tidbits of my life. If you've been with me for any or all of this journey, thanks for reading, and I do hope you'll stick around.

11 comments:

  1. I'm still checking in every now and again. Don't go changing to try and please me, I like the blog as it is. Keep doing what you're doing!
    Tom k. In FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would read more if I could-but it is really hard to stomach your posts. You really love yourself-that is clear. Why? Very unclear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever you say, anon, and thanks for checking in again. My, how I've missed your cheeky repartee! Thanks for reading, however sporadic and digestively challenging it may be!

      Delete
  3. Reader from the UK here... started reading not quite from the start and enjoy the content... it may not have flashy headings/graphics etc but I'd rather go for substance over style :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks reader from the UK, glad you like it and thanks for reading all these years!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Scott! Just catching up with you. My blog (and running) have suffered with a job change in 2015 and the fairly frequent twenty hour work days that came with it. I started last year strong with two top 3 finishes on short runs (an obstacle course run and a Wounded Warriors 5K) as I followed my dream to run Boston (if you recall). I'm curious, when do you write? What does your morning routine look like on an ideal day, and on a regular day? That second question assumes you're human and that some days are better than others. My morning routine has gone to shit - but getting back on it this week. I started getting my fitness back with short runs with a 20 pound vest and exercises every half mile - pull ups, push ups, lunges. Trying to also get my writing mojo back. The pain... Oh, and happy belated blogversary.

    As I pondered importantness and awesomeness toward the end of 2015, I came to the realization (once again) that life is nothing but a series of habits and experiences, so make your habits intentional and your experiences amazing. It's taken me a few weeks in 2016 to adjust my workaholic ways and get back to the GOOD habits. And so life goes... Hope you're well, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brad, thanks for checking in again! To answer a few of your questions: I haven't been writing consistently lately, and when I do write, it's basically whenever I have time. My morning routine during the week is to wake up at 6am, shower, cook breakfast and leave for work by 7. On an ideal day I would get up earlier to run first, which I was pretty good about last fall while training for Philly, but not so much lately. On the weekends our son gets up early, so I usually use his first nap at around 9am to read, write or run.

      Well done getting back on the wagon and I look forward to following along. Good luck with Boston - I've got a spot secure for 2017 and am hoping to make it back. Maybe I'll see you there!

      Delete
    2. Yeah . . . sometimes life gets in the way. I started to realize one thing getting between my ears is knowing the effort I undertook last year with strength training to get straight. I've decided to follow your lead on consistency - to start the day running and get my own streak started. My challenge is keeping it up when I'm on the road for work - which has included quite a bit of travel lately. It's a battle between that whiny voice that makes excuses and the strong voice that wants to conquer the world. Unfortunately on the road the weak voice has won. I think it was Matt Fitzgerald who said when he travels and doesn't feel like running, he'll convince himself to go to the hotel gym on the treadmill for just 10 minutes. Then once he's down there, he'll go for longer than that - but it's a mind game.

      So, you've used your streak to define what's important to you and that's likely been the one thing that's propelled you to where you are - consistency. And the one reason I haven't been able to extend my top 3 finishes in 5Ks / obstacle races to longer distances.

      So, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, know there's a dude in Florida traveling the country who'll be trying it on for size. Today . . . +1. And that covers running.

      For streaks with writing, check out http://www.750words.com. That's part 2 of my new morning ritual. Run first (before my brain realizes what I'm doing), then write 750 words. The site tracks streaks for consecutive days writing. I'm using it for my OTHER stretch goal; providing the foundation for my book.

      I signed up for the lottery for the NYC Marathon with my brother, and if not that - Marine Corps. Boston in 2017 will be a stretch - but that's what it's all about.

      Take good care!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...