Sunday, May 11, 2014

Shortened long run



I was aiming for 25 miles today.  Only made it 17.5.  Around mile 14 I developed sharp pain in my right hip, which then subsided towards the end of the lap at 16.5, but returned in force once I started on what was to be my final lap.  So I made the call to end the run short and finished with 17.5.

I hate that feeling of having to run less than I wanted to on a particular day.  It makes me feel like I'm making mistakes in my training.  Like all the running I've been doing this winter and spring has still failed to strengthen me and toughen me enough to get through a simple 25 mile run.  Because I crave the idea of pushing myself and finding out what I'm capable of, and consequently labeling a 25 mile run "simple."

On the other hand, I have to remind myself that mistakes are inevitable, even with the experience I have accumulated over the years, and gentle fluctuations in weather, diet, sleep patterns, and even moods can all affect training for better or worse.

I've been icing and stretching my hip all day today in the hopes of being ready for my first ultra next weekend.  I'm not going for any time goals, but neither do I want to limp painfully through any portion of the race.  All I want is to finish feeling strong and get myself a beer as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...