Saturday, March 15, 2014

2014 Haddonfield Adrenaline 5k: Race Report

9th annual Haddonfield Adrenaline 5k this morning.  My 4th or 5th time running it.  


This is probably the most intense race in South Jersey.  They cap it at 1,000 and offer cash prizes to the top five finishers, so the race is action packed with runners that can knock out a sub 15:00 5k in their sleep.

I rode my bike to Haddonfield Memorial High School where the finish and start lines were, and shortly after arriving the race started.

Surprise surprise, I was not feeling 100% at the start.  I am very familiar with the course and just tried to concentrate on upcoming hills and turns, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to break 20 minutes, which is usually my goal.

I saw a few of my students on the course, and before I knew it we were on the homestretch.  I had to really crank up the intensity in the homestretch to break 20 minutes, and made it with 5 seconds to spare.

I wasn't particularly excited to run this morning.  It was cold and rainy when I woke up, and all I wanted to do was go back to sleep.  But once I finished the race, I was glad I did it.  I won't have nearly as much fun or be as successful in all of these spring races I plan to do if I don't keep putting in the work now.  Being around all of these fellow runners this morning really inspired me to keep at it.

And now time to sing the praises of the Haddonfield Running Company.  They put on a hell of a race.

Exhibit A:

The medal was in the shape of New Jersey, and the top was a bottle opener.  If you're not from New Jersey, you may not understand how completely and utterly different North and South Jersey are.  And how much better South Jersey is.












Exhibit B:

There was a party at the store directly following the race, complete with free breakfast, and this cake/brownie display cut into the shape of New Jersey.  The store is celebrating its 17th anniversary, and the store owner wanted to thank his customers.


Thanks for a great morning, guys, and I'll see you next year.  Or tonight at the Irish Mile, whichever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...