Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Proposal (mine, not the crappy movie)

Man proposes at the 2005 Boston Marathon

I had thought about the proposal for months beforehand.  Watched marriage proposal videos on YouTube. Tossed around ideas with friends.  And for a long time, I considered proposing at the end of a marathon.

Most of my friends balked at this idea, warning me that proposing while sweaty and gross and half delirious wasn't the most romantic option, and most reminded me that marathoning is my thing, not Stevie's.    They agreed that if we both finished together, that would be one thing, but this wasn't likely as Stevie has no interest in running marathons.  Only one friend loved the idea, saying that the wedding is usually about the woman, so the proposal should be more about the guy.

My reasoning for a marathon proposal was that enduring a marathon before proposing was kind of romantic, in a test-of-wills, prove-my-worthiness, earn-the-right-for-your-hand-in-marriage kind of way.  Does that make sense?  I also knew that the thought of proposing would give me much needed inner strength in the latter miles.

I ended up proposing in Florida because I did want to incorporate more of Stevie's interests.  She grew up in Florida and loves the beach, and the particular beach where I proposed is one she's been going to since childhood.  I also knew that she only gets to see her family for a few weeks out of the year, so I wanted them to be able to celebrate with us directly after the fact rather than find out on the phone.

Stevie: It was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...