Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oberstdorf

When I was a senior in high school, way back in 1998, I received a government scholarship to study abroad in Germany.  I ended up in the town of Obertsdorf, a small ski town in the Allgäu region of Bavaria, ten minutes from Austria.  

To make a long story short, I loved the town, loved my school and friends, but simply didn't get along with my host family.  Towards the end of the year, I took up running the trails of the town's surrounding mountains and pastures, just to get away from my host family for an hour.  Trails like these:

My running path today

I last visited in May of 2002, but haven't been back since.  Which brings us to this week.

Now I'm back, for the first time in ten years, showing Stevie my old haunts, staying with old friends, and meeting with one of the English teachers at the local high school to prepare for our exchange next summer.  Yes, in a complete coincidence, this town is the very town with which my school in America conducts its German exchange every other summer.  So for the forseeable future, I will be returning to this apline paradise every other year.

In the meantime, I've enjoyed retracing some of my old running routes while here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...