Tuesday, April 5, 2016

What's new at Spartan Race

What exactly is Spartan Race?

You don't get out much, do you?  Here's a video to get you up to speed:




Scott, tell us your incredibly interesting history with the Spartan Race.

Ok.

I have no idea what Dan Krueger looks like, or even sounds like.  But he is obviously a strapping gentlemen capable of great character judgement, because two years ago he reached out to me from Spartan Race headquarters, wanting to know if I was willing to write about Spartan Race here on the blog.  He was kind enough to provide two free race entries into any Spartan Race in the U.S., one for me, and one for a lucky reader.

I gave away the race entry, but was unable to use my own free entry.  My son was born that year and consequently things in my life went a little haywire, and I just wasn't able to make it happen.  So I asked Dan if I could get another entry for 2015.  He kindly obliged... and life once again got in the way and I couldn't use my own free entry.

Third time's a charm?  Dan recently reached out again and incredibly offered yet another free entry into the race.  There is a Spartan Sprint coming up in September at the stadium where the Phillies play, and I will do that race come hell or high water.


So what's new?

The reason Dan reached out to me was to let me know that Spartan founder Joe DeSena has a new book coming out called Spartan Fit!, which will be a sequel to his bestseller Spartan Up!














The book is coming out this summer, but the first chapter is available online here, if you want to get a feel for it.  I hope to get a copy soon to read and will of course provide a review here on the blog.


I don't like to read.  What else do you have?

Spartan race is known for its three primary races, the Spartan Sprint (3+ miles and 12+ obstacles), the Spartan Super (8+ miles and 24+ obstacles), and the Spartan Beast (12+ miles and 30+ obstacles).

But for the truly masochistic, Spartan Race recently added a Spartan Endurance series: Hurricane Heat, Hurricane Heat 12 Hour, Ultra Beast, and the new Agoge (a semi-annual retreat in Vermont for Spartan Race Aficionados).

By the way, I love that Spartan Race is one of the few, if any, obstacle races out there to offer a children's version.  You can bet as soon as my son is old enough (4), I'll be bringing him along and getting him into the muddy fun.

But for now, I'm looking forward to the Philly Spartan Sprint on September 24th.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...