Sunday, April 24, 2016

2016 Richard's Run 5k Race Report

I've been looking to do more 5k's this season, so a few days ago I looked at the Haddonfield Running Company's website to see if there were any local races this weekend.  Turns out there was one right at the Cooper River, just a few minutes away from me, so that's where I headed this morning for my second race of the year.


Richard's Run is in its tenth year, and benefits Go 4 the Goal, an organization that helps kids with cancer to achieve their goals.  Every year in the United States, 15,000 children will be diagnosed with cancer, and Go 4 the Goal provides family support and well wishes, and grants for research and hospitals, among other services.


Races at the Cooper all follow the same course: meet at the track and "stadium," then walk a half mile to the start line.  Run the flat and winding path around the river and finish back at the stadium.  It's a nice and scenic course, though it isn't closed for small races, so racers have to share the path with walkers and bikers who don't know a race is going on.

There was a high school boys cross country team that joined the race and seemed to use it as a training run.  They were laughing and joking as we took off and continued to do so until I lost sight of them, and all finished within a minute of each other.  One of them even ran with a small dog named Shadow.  So I got beaten by a dog today.

Final stats:

19:39
9th place overall (out of 123)
1st in age group (out of 12)

One trait I've noticed in my last two races is not pushing as hard as I could towards the end.  I get tired and just want the race to be over and never deliver the final kick that I got really good at with the half marathon distance.  So there's something to work on for the next race.


After the race there were a lot of sponsors handing out post race refreshments, including Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and Honey Grow.  The race entry fee of $30 practically paid for itself in refreshments alone.

For my age group win I received a certificate and a prize bag, including three free personal training sessions at a gym nearby, socks, shoelaces, and a $25 gift certificate to Haddonfield Running Company (redeemable with $50 purchase).


It was a perfect spring morning for a race, and though it was small, it was fantastically well run and organized.  Definitely one I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...