Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Summer 2014 No Frills Just Thrills Race #6

Last race of the South Jersey Athletic Club's "No Frills Just Thrills" race series tonight. Tonight's race was another choose-your-own adventure with runners doing one, two, or three loops of the Cooper.

Stevie's parents and sister are in town from Florida/New York, so they came out to spectate, and because I didn't want to make them sit around for an hour and a half, I only did the one loop.  Also interesting to note, I completely forgot about this race earlier today and ran 10 miles because I hadn't run long in awhile.  It didn't make racing much easier tonight.

Stevie's mom offered to pin my bib on for me:



It wasn't awkward at all.

The race started at 6:30 right around sunset:



It was hard to gauge my competition because I didn't know who was running the one loop with me.  Maybe they should make people write a one, two, or a three on their calves.  So I just ran as hard as I could but still finished slower than race #1 last June.  It's hard getting old.


I finished 4th overall in the one loop race but still only second in my age group.  We didn't stick around for awards so not sure if I'll get another pint glass.

If you're in the South Jersey area, I highly recommend this race series.  It's absurdly cheap (free for students, $3 for SJAC members, and $5 for everyone else), and gets creative with the different types of races offered, especially the prediction race.  I like that the focus is on the friendly competition and not on any of the perks or gimmicks that races employ these days.

I'll see y'all next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...