Thursday, November 15, 2012

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Have you ever had Papa John's BBQ chicken pizza?  In high school and college it was probably my favorite food in the world.

Since then a loss of metabolism and a gain of nutritional sense have broadened and refined my culinary tastes, and I have consequently cut back on the papa habit.

But sometimes I still crave it.

Which brings us to tonight's creation:

Homemade pizza at its finest

Rather than ordering out and helping to stuff the pockets of a rich, crybaby pizza mogul, I decided to have a go at making my own tonight.

I made the crust myself, using half wheat flour and half white.  I used three different kinds of cheese: gouda, cheddar and mozzarella.  I caramelized the onions.  I marinated the chicken in spices and barbecue sauce before cooking.  I cooked hickory smoked bacon and diced it up.  I spread the sauce on the dough, laid down a base of cheese, then the toppings, then more cheese.  It was truly a labor of  love tonight.


I'm glad to say it lived up to the hype.

It was easily one of the best things I've ever made.

In the end, we were still eating pizza for dinner.  Mounds of cheese and dough sprinkled with bacon and a bit of protein isn't strictly the healthiest option, but making a damn fine homecooked version of an old junkfood standby was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...