Friday, April 28, 2017

Boston Marathon Day 5: Tuesday

I woke up around 7am and went for one last brief run along the Charles.  As luck would have it, gone was the previous day's heat, replaced by perfect marathon weather.  It was a perfect chilly spring morning.

I returned to the Airbnb, showered, then went for a walk along Newbury Street where I had breakfast at a small sandwich place that sold breakfast sandwiches.  Then back to my Airbnb to pack up my things, then back out onto the streets of Boston.  There were still runners everywhere, most wearing this year's blue Adidas jacket and walking funny.  I once again did not buy the official jacket, but did my share of limping and grimacing while walking around.



While walking down Dartmouth Street, I saw none other than Galen Rupp, the previous day's second place finisher, and Alberto Salazar, his coach and former Boston and NYC Marathon champ, walk right past me.  I was so gobsmacked at seeing them walk by me so causally, and perhaps still thinking about my last chance encounter with a celebrity runner, that I didn't say anything.  No botched selfies this time.  Instead I just smiled at my good fortune and continued down the street.

I was supposed to hitch a ride with Emi from Who's Up? (the one who went down at mile 25 in the marathon from dehydration) back to New Jersey.  She and her sister and her sister's boyfriend wanted to walk around and check out some of Boston since they only arrived Sunday afternoon, but I had work to do, so I set up shop at the library on Boylston Street to work for a few hours.  At least I had a nice view of Boylston and the finish line to keep me company.



At about 3 o'clock, I went back out onto the street, took one last selfie by the finish line, then walked a few blocks to meet Emi.


I failed to get a picture of myself with Larry, and the same goes for Emi.  I swear I really do have running friends.

We barreled through New England to get home, stopping only once for gas and restrooms and miraculously avoiding any traffic around New York City.  I arrived home a little after 9pm and went straight to sleep, thus ending one of the greatest weekends of my entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...