Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dancing with the Staff: the results

Last night I won first place in a dance competition.  There is just something so strange about that sentence. Let's just say I never thought I would start a blog post like that.  Yes, I can do flips and the like, but I've never been a strong dancer and usually only take to the dance floor at weddings when I've had some liquid courage.

Anyway, this was the first year they've ever tried this at my school, and it was held on a Wednesday night, so I wasn't sure how good the turnout would be.  Turns out hundreds of people were willing to pay the $7 entry fee, and the auditorium was packed.

Stevie, my high school friend Amy, and my dad and Debbie all came out to watch too.

8 teams competed with songs like "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men, "Pump It" by the Black Eyed Peas, and "Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer.  Votes were cast during intermission, and during the second act several students performed songs while the votes were being tallied.

At the end of the night, they brought all of the teams back on stage, and Team Spartenheimer prevailed! Dancing with the Staff champions!  

Though the rehearsal committment had been a bit larger than I would have liked, it definitely paid off.  I honestly wouldn't have cared who won.  The best part was watching the staff and students come together for such a fun event.  We raised a lot of money for a great cause, as well.

With my dance partner, one of my German I students

This morning one of my German III students gave me a hand-made blue ribbon in German.

The first place trophy and the ribbon one of my German III students made me

I played a lot of baseball and soccer as a kid and won my share of trophies back then.  I have since won some hardware in running as well.  But dancing?  Now I've seen everything.

And without further ado, here is the spectacle that was our dance last night.  I give full credit to my dance partner, who came up with about 97 percent of the dance and waited patiently for me to master simple moves throughout the rehearsal process.  (And thanks to Stevie for filming.)


2 comments:

  1. Great job! Some of those moves didn't look so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was super impressed with the routine. Dancing can be a workout and you sure proved that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...