Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Resolutionary


People used to make resolutions this time of year, but most scoff at them now on account of how few people keep them.

I remember my new year's resolution for 2005.  It was the über-clichéd "I'm going to get fit" resolution that leads most people into ridiculous gym contracts.  I was annoyed with myself over a five year lapse in fitness and decided to reclaim the athletic ability and accompanying body I'd had in high school.  So I buckled down and 11 months later I ran my first marathon.

I like the idea of resolutions because I like the idea of self improvement.  I try not to beat myself up if I don't follow through, and in the meantime I like giving myself specific things to focus on.  

I also like the idea of creating inspiration from within.  In this day and age inspiration is everywhere, but instead of getting caught up in false prophets of inspiration, just be your own inspiration.  I think it's fine to draw inspiration from others, but in the end I want to be amazed at the feats I accomplish and let them fuel future successes.

With that said, here are my resolutions for 2013:
  • Read more.
  • Write more.  Not just on this blog, but in my journal and stories/plays/novels.
  • Keep up the fitness.
  • Make a serious effort at Boston this fall.  No half assing.
  • Run a Tough Mudder.
  • Consistently work on my relationship and future marriage with Stevie.
  • Be my own inspiration.
Happy New Year, folks, and here's to reaching our goals in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...